Place Your Banner Here

Place Your Banner Here
Your Ad Here

Saturday

Cincinnatti Ohio ~ Rubber Duck

This Big Rubber Duck sits on top the Grant Thornton building in Cincinnatti, Ohio.  This can be seen from I 71.   I am not sure that they leave the duck up year round but it is there in August getting ready for the Rubber Duck Regatta.


In Cincinnatti, the rubber duck is the symbol for The Rubber Duck Regatta.  It is where the Freestore Foodbank  hosts The Rubber Duck Regatta during Riverfest (The end of summer).   This usually takes place the first week of September.

People buy small rubber ducks and all the ducks are dropped in the Ohio River during the Riverfest.    The owner of the Duck that crosses the finish line first wins a huge prize, one year it was a car.  Then there are smaller prizes given out also.

There have been as many as 142,000 small ducks dropped in the river.  The Freestore Foodbank uses the money it makes to feed hungry families throughout Greater Cincinnatti.

21 comments:

  1. Wow I wondered where you went welcome back.:)
    I love that photo. They have that same thing around here always a good cause. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, That's almost in my backyard and I had no clue about it. I need to visit the Riverfest and buy a rubber duck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would sure be just duckie to win a car

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the duck! Great glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very interesting. I did not know about this. What will happen to all the small ducks that were dropped in the river at the end of the event?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to collect money for those who need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it would be cute race to watch. I hope you had fun on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that idea and how fun. Everyone has to have a duck in the race. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and fun way to raise money! I had never heard of this and unfortunately do not live anywhere near there-but would love to be able to see this one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is so cute! Love it, it would really bring a smile to my face seeing it floating around in the air lol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the rubber duck regatta. My home town hosts their own and it's such a wonderful, family-friendly event for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that big duck! I have heard about races like this, but have never seen one! Great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cool. The duck is super cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's pretty fun! I have ducks for the bathtub that are dressed up to look like frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good cause! Now the song "Rubber Ducky" is going through my head!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They do something similar in the channel in my hometown, except for the GIANT duck on the building!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must be some sight watching all those ducks floating by in the river.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I imagine all those rubber ducks together is quite the sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what a great cause and I always love seeing the ducks floating down a waterway we have the same fundraiser here. Great shot. B

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have a raft race here in Chester, which is rather appealing. Like the duck on the roof!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is nice to see that rubber duck with a glass. Even though it is high it attracts people to see it by it's attractive color.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.