Place Your Banner Here

Place Your Banner Here
Your Ad Here

Monday

St Lawrence Catholic Church ~ Hillsville, Pennsylvania



The St Lawrence Catholic Church was built in 1906 for the Italian Catholics of Hillsville, Pennsylvania.   It was a wood frame church and burned down in July of 1930.  The brick Church pictured above was built and dedicated in March 1931.
 
We were driving on Route 422 when I spied this old church I told my Hubs.... STOP!!  I want to get a picture.  Well, I kind of shrieked it. 
 
I only wish I could have gone through it, and maybe I could have had I ask.


St. Lawrence Cemetery located right beside the Church.
 
This is what I seen driving up to it.
I just thought it looked beautiful!!

Located on 3195 Churchill Rd, right off W 224.   They have since built a newer church in 1967 and this is now use for the CCD Recreation Center.

13 comments:

  1. That is definitely a nice looking church - very unique. I totally bet they would have let you take a look inside if you had asked. Next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know why, I'm not even a churchy person, but I love the look of churches. They are so historical. The stain glass that some of them have tell stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right it is beautiful. I would love to see the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it seems that you have interesting drive on the way. that church could have even witnessed the world war 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a religious person, but I love visiting churches. I have a stained glass fetish too. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! And nicely situated on a hill too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks nice. Very different from churches in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love old churches...so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:46 PM

    This church is now, and has been for many years, a private residence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!! That might be pretty cool to live in a church.

      Delete
  10. The church is more of an apartment complex for retired Priests and Nuns now. It's also well known for being haunted.

    My family roots are only a few hundred yards from the church, and you actually photographed my great grandmother's grave stone. There is a lot of history surrounding this location. A lot of it bad, being the birthplace of the mafia (black hand society) in the US (not proud of this, but it is history). Look up Hillsville, PA and you will be surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.