Place Your Banner Here

Place Your Banner Here
Your Ad Here

Tuesday

DeSoto County Courthouse Murals ~ Hernando Mississippi


This present courthouse was built in 1942 after the previous French Castle Courthouse burned in 1940.

When I heard there were Hand Painted Murals in the Desoto County Courthouse, I wanted to go in to get pictures.      

When I get into the Courthouse, they have a scanner that you go through so you don't take any knives or other unwanted hardware into the building.     First, I tried to go through with my camera.  That set the alarm off.   I put the camera down and tried to go through again.    I told the guard that my Hip Replacement would for sure set it off again.  

Well, the nice guard let me go through so I could go up to the second floor and take pictures of the hand painted murals.   Sorry they are not as beautiful as in real time but there was a glare coming through the windows that showed on every painting.

Oh.... I forgot to say that these were hand painted and then restored.   I found 4 of them.  There are 2 more on a back wall that you can't see.   The Murals depict Hernando DeSoto's discovery of the Mississippi River

DeSoto County Courthouse
2535 Highway 51 S
Hernando, Mississippi 38632

10 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is to get good photos of large murals. I think you did a great job here. The courthouse looks like a beautiful building inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I did probation I was always having to go through the courthouse xray machines. Sometimes they could get really backed up too. THose murals are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a lovely building. My husband works in the federal building in Boston and has to go through a metal detector every single day now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murals seem to be disappearing in our modern public buildings. I wonder if this is because it isn't possible to agree on content anymore, we're all so self involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love that place! In Atalanta they have a HUGE mural that is in a circle. The chairs in the center move slightly to see it all. They tell a story, while different things light up. It's pretty cool!

    We lost internet here. I wanted to get caught up on my commenting at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the photos turned out great I think. To bad about the hip:) B

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool courthouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic murals but can understand being there must have really highlighted their beauty.
    P.S. Happy and healthy New Year to you and yours. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat murals! Glad the guard let your camera through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure would like to go and see the murals up close.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.