Place Your Banner Here

Place Your Banner Here
Your Ad Here

Wednesday

Blues Trail ~ Cotton Pickin Blues ~ Hopson Planting Co. Clarksdale Mississippi

 
 
One of the major factors behind the great migration of African Americans from the South to the Northern Cities was the mechanization of agriculture, which dimished the need for manual labor. 
 
 
The  Cotton Pickin Blues Marker (Clarksdale) is  located right off Commissary Cr.
Clarksdale, Mississippi is the Birthplace of the Blues and is also the location of the famous crossroads intersection Highway 49 and 61
 
In 1944 the Hopson Planting Co. produced the first crop of cotton planted and harvested and baled by machines.
 
Outside of the Hopson building are all different kinds of old cars, trucks and machinery
 
 
There  is so much to see at this little stop.  Lots of older homes around (not pictured).  I wasn't sure if anyone was living in them or not.   Most of them looked like shacks.
 
The Hopson which was once a working plantation, now has live music and is home of the Shack Up Inn.   

11 comments:

  1. Cotton Pickin Blues trail...what a unique sign to see

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle would love that old firetruck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I really enjoyed those photos.. Sounds like a nice place to visit. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post about Mississippi makes me think of a book I read when I was young - "Tom Sawyer". Now with your photos, I can imagine Tom Sawyer running about in places like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. I would love to sit and listen to some blues music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a kid I had a fire truck that looked just like that. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I ever make it down that way, this is a place I'd LOVE to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your adventures! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! http://aprilscountrylife.blogspot.com/2013/01/ive-been-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fire truck is fabulous!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet that place has witness alot of memories

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only seen cotton growing once. That was when I went from Savannah, GA to Ocean City, MD. It is pretty cool to see the white fluffy things among a bunch of green!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.